“Prayer is translation. A man translates himself into a child asking for all there is in a language he has barely mastered.”
Welcome to my online CV which summarizes my experience in technical, scientific and literary translation, within diverse fields of specialization.
My current practice implies full-time work as a freelance English/Spanish translator for U.S. and Europe-based translation and localization companies. The daily translation work is carried out with a project-basis criteria, my current clients’ portfolio includes agencies of all sizes, which are oriented to different cultural and intellectual fields of knowledge.
Scientific & Literary English Translator
Universidad del Salvador
Buenos Aires, Argentina
CAT Tools & Computer Skills
- SDLX, Wordfast Pro & Trados 2007
- SDL Trados Studio 2009; SDL Multiterm 2009
- SDL Trados Studio 2011; SDL Multiterm 2011
- SDL Trados Studio 2014; SDL Multiterm 2014
- Smartling Platform
- MS Word; MS PowerPoint; MS Excel; E-mail & Internet (Windows 7)
- Confidentiality as a priority
- Experienced in team work
- Never missed a deadline
- CAT Tools Proficient
- Committed to high-quality translations
- Integrity and reliability in daily practice
- Able to provide client recommendations for review
- Member of international professional associations
- Interested in professional development and continuing education
“As a Trusted Translation PM, I found a professional experience to work with Romina. She addresses any issues quickly and timely providing alternative solutions. Her language skills are beyond expectations.”Gisela Donnarumma
“Romina was a delight to work with. Her contributions were greatly appreciated and resulted in a higher quality product.”Laurence Joly-Lukas
“Romina’s work was excellent and she took her responsibility as a translator very seriously. Creating the Spanish version of our company Web site gave me a special appreciation for her capabilities.”Marie Stölte
“Romina has proven herself not only to be an effective translator and writer, but has also remained highly attentive to our clients’ needs, whims, timelines and specifications.”David Leonhardt
Main Areas of Specialization
Medicine: Health Care
- Equipment for Clinical Trials
- Insurance Health Coverage
- Human Health Risk Assessment
- Hospital & Demand Surveys
- Medical Charts
- Patient’s Consents
- Social & Dental Plans
- HMO & PPO
- Employee Benefit Information
- Health Care Coverage Benefit Plans
Marketing, Travel & Leisure
- Tourism Websites
- Travel Guides
- Hotel Websites
- Market Research
- Commercial Correspondence
- Online Shopping Catalogs
- Sales Catalogs
- Sales Brochures
- Product Instructions & Packaging
- Scripts for Video Advertisements
- Food, Beverages and Apparel
Earth Science, Environment &Energy
- Waste Management
- Water Treatment
- Services & Utilities
- Gas & Electric Utilities
- Energy Resources
- Sustainable Development
- Environmental Health Hazards
- Alternative and Renewable Energies
Education, Literature & Poetry
- Poetry Books for Children
- Children’s Rhyming Books
- Children’s Pet Books
- Geography Textbooks
- History Textbooks
- Social Studies Textbooks
- Math Textbooks
- National Traditions Textbooks
- Parenting Skills Manuals
Human Resources, Occupational Health & Safety
- Company Policies and Procedures
- Employee’s Performance Evaluations
- Employee’s Handbooks
- Employee’s Surveys
- Letters to Employees
- Parent and Student Handbook
- Workplace Safety Manuals
- Management Guidelines
- Surveying Documents
- Review Forms
- Training Materials
- Press Releases & Newsletters
Technical, Aviation & Automotive
- Technical Training
- User’s Manuals
- GPS Manuals
- Crash 3 Damage Algorithm
- Tri-level Accident Study
- Trucks – Technical Handbooks
- Automotive Parts Catalogs
- Farm Equipment: Tractors
- Machinery User’s Guide
- Riding & Walk-Behind Mowers
Translation Seminars & Other Post-Graduate Studies
- “III Annual Translation & Interpretation Update Seminar”, AATI, 2004.
- “IX National Conference on Spanish Language Rules”, Fundación Instituto Superior de Estudios Lingüísticos y Literarios LITTERAE and Universidad de Belgrano, Buenos Aires, 2005.
- “Training Seminar: Spanish Language Rules for Translators and Proofreaders”, Dr. Alicia Zorrilla and Translator Estela Lalanne de Servente, Fundación Litterae, June 28th, 2008.
- “ProZ.com Virtual Translation Conference”, September 30th, 2009.
- “SDL Trados Studio 2009 for Translators”, Massimo Ghislandi, SDL Trados, June 10th, 2009.
- “Introduction to Wordfast Pro”, Jaime Lucero, Official Wordfast trainer, March 17th, 2010.
- “V Congreso Latinoamericano de Traducción e Interpretación – «Traducir culturas: un desafío bicentenario»”, CTPBA, May 12th-16th, 2010.
- “ProZ.com Virtual Translation Conference”, September 30th, 2010.
- “Discover the new SDL Trados 2011 and how to make the most of it”, Massimmo Ghislandi, Proz.com Virtual Conference, September 30th, 2011.
- “Introduction to SDL Trados Studio 2011”, Victoria Knowles, January 2012.
- “The differences between SDL Trados 2007 and SDL Trados Studio 2011”, Massimo Ghislandi, December 2012.
- “SDL Trados Studio 2014 English & Spanish virtual event”, Proz, June 26th, 2014.
- “ProZ.com virtual conference for translation professionals on industry innovation and technology best practices”, online conference, Proz, June 2014.
- “How to Translate a Document Using the Powerful Features in SDL Trados Studio 2014”, July 2014.
- “SDL Trados Studio for Beginners”, Massimo Ghislandi, SDL online webinar, September 2014.
- “The Fastest Way to Make More Clients”, Joy Mo, SDL online webinar, September 2014.
- “Five Myths About Client Diversification for Translators”, Joy Mo, SDL online webinar, September 2014.
- “Master Class in Business for Translators”, Marta Stelmaszak, Buenos Aires, Argentina, October 18th, 2014.
- “Getting started with SDL Trados Studio 2015”, SDL online webinar, September 2015.
Seminars related to my fields of specialization
- “Workshop: Translation of Medical Texts”, Dr. Fernando A. Navarro, Aleph Translations, Buenos Aires, December 6th and 7th, 2008.
- “Patient Surveys: Diversity in Medical Translation”, Erin Lyons, Proz, October 24th, 2014.
- “Improving Global Health: Focusing on Quality and Safety”, Dr. Ashish Jha, HarvardX, edX, September 2014.
- “La asistencia sanitaria y el seguro médico: dificultades en la traducción de textos para el sistema médico de los Estados Unidos”, Trad. Luciana Ramos, PROZ, June 2015.
- “Technical translations: Choosing the right terminology”, Brian Mitchell, 2013 Freelance Translator Virtual Conference, September 2013.
- “Methodology for specialized translations”, Sylvie Mathis, 2013 Freelance Translator Virtual Conference, September 2013.
- “Translation for environmental organizations”, Anneta Vysotskaya, Proz, May 29th, 2014.
- “WordCamp Buenos Aires 2015”, May 2015.
- “Simposio Hispanoamericano de Traducción Especializada y Nuevas Tecnologías”, Xosé Castro Roig and others, CTPBA, June 2015.
- “Introduction to Aeronautical Engineering”, Delft University of Technology, Edx, June 2015.
- “Literary Workshop”, Pedro Mairal, Universidad del Salvador, Buenos Aires, 1997.
- “Translating Poetry”, Silvia Camerotto, AATI, August 2013.
- “The Art of Poetry”, Robert Pinsky, edX, Boston University (BUX), edX, September 2014.
- “Literature and strategies for translating poetry”, Emilia de Paola, Proz, October 24th, 2014.
- “Poetry in America: Dickinson”, Elisa New, April 2015, Edx.
- “La traducción en Alejandra Pizarnik”, Dr. Cecilia Rossi, University of East Anglia, British Centre for Literary Translation (UK), April 2015.
- “Traducción de prosa literaria inglés > español “, Pablo Ingberg, June 2015.
- “Seducciones de Sor Juana”, online course on edX by Universidad del Claustro de Sor Juana, October 12, 2015.
- “Literature and strategies for translating poetry”, Proz, November 2015.
- “Claves para que la traducción de los textos turísticos sea un viaje de cinco estrellas”, Proz, November 2015.
Publications (on paper and online)
- “Signos del horizonte: Selección poética”, Editorial Centro de Arte Urano 2001, Embajada de las Letras, August 1994.
- “Antología poética: Homenaje a Baldomero F. Moreno”, Editorial Tres + Uno, May 1996.
- “Gramma”, Escuela de Letras para la Facultad de Historia y Letras, Universidad del Salvador, Issue 23, Buenos Aires, August 1996.
- “Antología poética: Homenaje a Pedro B. Palacios”, Editorial Tres + Uno, October 1996.
- “Antología poética: Diez años sin Borges”, Editorial Tres + Uno, November 1996.
- “Anuario 97: Poetas de fin de siglo”, Ediciones del Tridente/4, August 1997.
- “Night to Dawn”, literary magazine, Issues 2 and 3, Buffalo, New York, 2002/3.
- Poems published in the cultural magazine ‘El Viento’, edited by Luis Vilchez.
- Poems and letters read at the radio show ‘Cartas que vienen y van’, Radio Mitre, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Poems published online in the following websites:
- More than forty children’s books translated into Spanish (Poetry/Rhymes, Textbooks, Mathematics, Geography, History, Biographies, National Traditions, Social Studies, Animals, Automotive, Self-Help).
- Owned literary website with numerous poems: www.plumaysangre.com
Memberships / Certifications
- IAPTI: International Association of Professional Translators and Interpreters
- AATI: Argentine Association of Translators and Interpreters
- FIT: International Federation of Translators
- FAT: Federación Argentina de Traductores
- TWB: active and working member of Translators Without Borders
- Proz.com: Full Member
- Member of Certified PRO Network Proz.com
- I work on an ongoing basis for an ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management System Certified Company
- “II Conference on Translation and Interpretation” by AATI.
- “Translation of poetry English <> Spanish”, organized by AATI and dictated by translator Silvia Camerotto.
- “Translation of Medicine-related Texts” by AATI (Asociación Argentina de Traductores e Intérpretes), dictated by translator Claudia Tarazona, who worked with Doctor “Patch Adams”.
- “International Conference for Translators: Productive Information Technology”, organized by Colegio de Traductores Públicos de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires, CTPBA.
- “V Latin American Congress on Translation and Interpretation”, organized by Colegio de Traductores Públicos de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires, CTPBA.
- “II Buenos Aires Conference for Translators and Interpreters”, organized by Círculo de Traductores e Intérpretes de la Zona Oeste, CTPI.
- “Upgrading Conference on Spanish Language for Editors and Translators”, organized by Fundación Litterae, certification issued by its president, Dr. Alicia María Zorrilla, member of Academia Argentina de Letras and Ibero-American representative of the Real Academia Española.
- Pro Bono Translation Work: Translators Without Borders (Accepted as an active member of TWB translators’ database after a translation test.)
Diego Sansone from Idea Translations
Director of Operations
Phone: +1 (877) 409-8460
Mariana Elbert from Elbert Translations and Training
Phone: +54 (11) 4571-7949
David Leonhardt from The Happy Guy Marketing
Phone: +1 (613) 448-4086
Equipment and Software
- Samsung NP300E5A Intel® Pentium™ B940 Notebook
- HP 550 Core 2 Duo Notebook
- Color printer, copier, scanner